How to make a GREEN New Year’s Resolution
As the year 2011 approached, I found myself wondering what resolution I could make for the new year. If you are like myself, this is a time to make (and break!) New Year’s resolutions. Here are the top five resolutions I found with a quick Google search:
1. Spend more time with friends and family.
2. Fit in fitness.
3. Tame the bulge.
4. Quit smoking.
5. Enjoy life more.
Most years I make resolutions that are difficult to achieve, and I have limited success keeping the resolutions I make. This year I challenge myself and all of you to make a different (and hopefully more attainable) goal for 2011: to move toward a more GREEN lifestyle. Many of you have probably already taken some steps toward being eco-friendly, but there are probably even more things you could do. Here are a few ideas to help us all make a GREEN New Year’s Resolution:
- If you’re not already using cloth diapers with your little one, now is a great time to start! See my blog, http://bumcovereddiapers.blogspot.com or my web store, www.bumcovereddiapers.com to find information and products to help you get started.
- Help the environment by using reusable cloth bags at the grocery stores instead of plastic bags. If you do use plastic bags, re-use them or recycle them instead of throwing them away. Did you know Hy-Vee gives you 5 cents back for every reusable bag you use for your purchases? (If this store is not in your area, check to see if your local grocery stores offer this discount.)
- Eliminate paper and plastic waste where you can. Have you thought of using real napkins instead of paper? Or using a container for sandwiches instead of a Ziploc bag when you pack your lunch? Also, reusable snack bags are now available at many retailers. I just bought one today from RG Natural Babies online.
- Set your heat a few degrees cooler and your air a few degrees warmer to conserve energy.
- Replace your old light bulbs with high-efficiency bulbs, and turn off anything that doesn’t need to be on.
- See if your energy company will do an energy audit on your house to give you ideas for making your home more efficient.
I hope these tips are helpful to some of you, and that you all have a great year!